Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Tanking stuffs

So I have been working with a couple of new tanks recently, mainly because I'm playing my priest in heroics but I have a few things I would like to mention.  

Make sure your party knows the kill order and that it takes a few seconds for a warrior or a druid to get AOE threat on all the targets.  And if you are the tank, make sure you move and really piss off the ranged casters or rangers (think Nexus).  There is nothing worse than having those guys shoot the crap out of your healers in the back cause you didn't grab them well enough.  

If a target starts running toward someone else, use your taunt button, that is what it is there for.  Don't rely on running after the target, if it gets to your clothie before you get to it, you might be down one clothie.

If a pull or two goes haywire and you struggle to get control of everyone, understand Sh!t happens and learn from it.  Don't throw in the towel on tanking just because of a bad pull or two.  Understand, WE HAVE ALL HAD THEM.  

I know some people don't understand that tanking is more than just running in there and grabbing aggro, but it is.  You have to learn the ins and outs of all the instances better than anyone else in the group.  You have to know what mobs to kill first, what mobs to CC, and where to stand and where to move if you have to move.   

Tanking is about being prepared ahead of time and putting in the time to learn stuff to do it right.  My friends say I make it look easy, well, that is because I do the research and put in the time so that I know what to expect.  Plus I have tanked every single heroic in both WotLK and BC as well as raids and nothing prepares you better than practice!!

No comments: