Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Rage against the Machine...I mean Shield


So after reading the 3.1 class changes that have been posted.  One of them has me wondering what is up with bear rage generation.  In the warrior changes it stated

You now gain rage when damage done to you is absorbed, such as through a Power Word: Shield.

So my question becomes, will bear druids get the same change?  It was not stated in our class changes that we will, but I would really love to see this change occur for Bear.  There are many times that I end up rage starved when I get shielded.  

During a 10 man run in Naxx, I was tanking Loatheb and the priest shielded me 6 times during the fight and I got rage starved very quickly and had to quit using my special attacks for several seconds.  And since Loatheb is a DPS race, I really wanted to be giving it all I had DPS-wise, but I only did 1270.  This is just an example I had WWS numbers on back before I got some decent gear.

I know that I generate a great deal of rage via Primal Fury and from Natural Reaction, however, we also still generate rage by taking damage.  

The equation is

Rage = [2.5*(Damage Taken)] / (Rage Conversion at Your Level) 
which at level 80 the conversion factor is 320.6 according to WoW Wiki

So the equation is Rage = [2.5*(Damage Taken)] / 320.6

Now the combat log I was looking at doesn't say how much damage was absorbed, but an average hit was between 1700 and 2300, so looking at those two values

Minimum rage generated = [2.5*(1700)]/320.6 = 13.2564
Maximum rage generated = [2.5*(2300)]/320.6 = 17.9351

So if the PW:S is buffed, it can absorb over 5000 damage.  So, since I was shielded 6 times, that would be 30000 damage absorbed or 233.9364 rage that I missed out on.  Just for reference, my Primal Fury generated 450 rage and my Natural Reaction generated 261 rage during the Loatheb fight.  So that 234 rage during the fight is almost the same amount as was generated by a Tier 6, 3 point talent (Natural Reaction) and we are missing out on it!

Therefore, I would love to see Bears get something similar to what the warriors are getting.  This would make Disc Priests a lot more viable when your tank is a druid.  And I love Disc Priests, I think there should be more of them.  Mine is 67!

No comments: